As an advanced telematics system, OnStar offers a range of features that promise increased safety, convenience, and peace of mind on the road. From emergency assistance and stolen vehicle tracking to navigation and hands-free calling, this service seems like a game-changer for car enthusiasts. However, skeptics argue that the high subscription fees and potential privacy concerns may outweigh the benefits. But is Onstar worth it or not?
What is OnStar?
OnStar is a communication system developed by General Motors that offers various services for drivers. It provides safety, security, and convenience features such as automatic crash response, emergency services, stolen vehicle recovery, remote diagnostics, and turn-by-turn navigation.
OnStar has become widely trusted and is considered an essential component in modern vehicles. It uses GPS and cellular communication to establish a connection between the vehicle and a call center. OnStar also offers subscription-based plans catering to different service levels and durations, emphasizing safety, convenience, and peace of mind.
OnStar is a concierge service for cars that offers safety and convenience features. It provides emergency services and integrates with 4G LTE connectivity for fast information transmission.
How Does OnStar Work?
OnStar is a telemetric service that combines GPS and mobile technologies for vehicle information and services. It is accessible through a car panel or the OnStar Guardian app.
It requires a subscription and uses cellular, GPS, telemetry, and voice command technology. OnStar improves vehicle functionality and safety.
It can be installed during manufacturing or added later. Users can interact through buttons, apps, or online.
Sensors detect accidents and prompt communication with the call center for help.
Offers stolen vehicle assistance, remote services, and vehicle diagnostics.
Provides real-time communication for a better driving experience and peace of mind for owners.
10 Benefits of OnStar
OnStar is a service that provides reliable and efficient communication in vehicles, Offering a range of benefits that can be life-saving and time-saving. They provide essential services that can help in emergencies and improve the overall driving experience.
It revolutionizes driving by making it safer, smarter, and more enjoyable. These benefits include:
1. Vehicle Tracking
- OnStar offers a vehicle tracking service for lost or stolen vehicles
- Uses GPS technology to locate stolen vehicles and recover them efficiently
- Can pinpoint vehicle’s location in emergencies for a prompt response from emergency services
- Provides peace of mind for owners, especially for families with multiple or teenage drivers
- Some insurance companies offer discounts for vehicles equipped with tracking systems like OnStar
- Enhances vehicle security, safety, and peace of mind for drivers
2. Network Connection
- OnStar offers 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot service in vehicles
- Allows passengers to stay connected to the internet
- Provides online streaming and entertainment options while on the go
- Features include automatic crash response, emergency services, stolen vehicle assistance, remote services, vehicle diagnostics, and turn-by-turn navigation
- Real-time communication enhances safety, convenience, and the driving experience
- Allows for prompt emergency assistance, efficient vehicle tracking, and seamless access to services through a mobile app or online account.
3. Crash Response
- OnStar provides crash response service for car accidents.
- Available to anyone at any time.
- Considered life-saving.
- OnStar’s Crash Response feature connects vehicle occupants with an advisor.
- Automatic alert triggered by airbag deployment or specific impact thresholds.
- GPS technology tracks vehicle location for efficient emergency response.
- OnStar advisors are professionally trained to handle emergencies and reduce response times.
- Enhances safety and security of vehicle occupants during accidents by delivering immediate assistance.
4. Remote Access
- Features include locking/unlocking, starting the engine, activating the horn/lights, and locating your vehicle in case of theft or need.
- Users can control their cars from a distance through a smartphone app or online account.
- Provides real-time updates on vehicle status and diagnostics.
- Enhances security with stolen vehicle assistance and location monitoring.
- Brings convenience, safety, and peace of mind to vehicle owners.
5. Vehicle Diagnostics
- OnStar collects data from the ECU to diagnose vehicle problems and prevent damage.
- Continuous monitoring helps detect potential issues and prevent costly problems.
- Maintenance reminders based on vehicle usage and condition.
- Reduces breakdowns and extends vehicle lifespan.
- Improves fuel efficiency and saves on repair costs.
- Detailed diagnostic reports were accessible through the mobile app or online account.
- Provides convenience, cost savings, and peace of mind for vehicle owners.
- OnStar provides navigation services with turn-by-turn directions, traffic updates, and weather updates.
- Can suggest and reserve nearby hotels, motels, restaurants, and other amenities.
- Helps drivers in unfamiliar areas or during road trips.
- Offers real-time directions and helps avoid traffic congestion.
- Integrated with the vehicle’s infotainment system for easy access.
- Voice-guided instructions and visual displays enhance driving convenience and efficiency.
7. Voice Command
- OnStar uses Alexa to provide voice command capabilities for eligible vehicles.
- Voice command allows drivers to control the vehicle and access OnStar’s services.
- Enhances safety by keeping hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road.
- Convenient for using OnStar’s features while driving or when hands are occupied.
- Reduces distractions and promotes better focus on the road.
- Ensures accessibility for users with physical limitations.
- Streamlines navigation, communication, and service access through spoken instructions.
- Prioritizes safety while offering convenience for users.
8. Stolen Vehicle Assistance
- OnStar offers stolen vehicle assistance.
- Collaborates with law enforcement agencies.
- Uses GPS technology and real-time communication.
- Helps locate and recover stolen vehicles.
- Provides peace of mind and increases the chances of recovering stolen property.
- Enhances overall vehicle safety and protects the vehicle’s value.
9. OnStar Guardian App
- The OnStar Guardian app is available for GM and non-GM vehicles.
- Access OnStar services on smartphones.
- Features for motorcycle riders, including emergency services.
- Add family members for safety and emergency access.
- Location sharing and roadside assistance services.
- Crash detection alerts OnStar call center.
- Remote control features for vehicle locking, unlocking, and remote start.
- Vehicle diagnostics are accessible through the app.
10. Roadside Assistance
- OnStar provides 24/7 roadside assistance for emergencies.
- Services include tire assistance, jump-starts, towing, and fuel delivery.
- Subscribers can use the SOS button or call the call center for assistance.
- Trained advisors are available 24/7 to coordinate assistance.
- Roadside Assistance extends to medical incidents or accidents.
- Provides peace of mind during long journeys or in unfamiliar areas.
- OnStar offers comprehensive support and assistance on the road.
Before purchasing an OnStar plan, it is crucial to have a comprehensive understanding of all its features.
Is OnStar Worth It or Not?
OnStar is a service that offers various subscription plans and has expanded to include all vehicles. It provides a three-month free trial and free basic service plans for new GM vehicles for 5 years. OnStar is a popular service with 7.2 million users but has drawbacks like expensive monthly charges and fees for new GM vehicles.
It offers lifesaving features like emergency and crash response, roadside assistance, anti-theft protection, and network connectivity for navigation. Overall, the monthly subscription fee is worth it for the benefits provided.
When evaluating the value of OnStar, it is important to consider personal preferences and needs. Factors such as security assurance, convenience, and vehicle protection should be taken into account. It is also necessary to evaluate the subscription costs and benefits to determine if the ongoing expenses are justified.
Checking the service connectivity and exploring alternative options is recommended. Seeking feedback from current users and reading customer reviews can provide insights into the value and practicality of OnStar.
Final Thoughts – Is OnStar Worth It or Not
General Motors aimed to establish connectivity among all vehicles using OnStar, a popular service with a substantial user base. While OnStar has both advantages and disadvantages, the drawbacks are relatively insignificant compared to its extensive features and services. The OnStar service is considered valuable and worth the investment, particularly for individuals without financial constraints.
OnStar service has over one million subscribers in the US and Canada. It focuses on safety and security, offering services such as automatic crash response and emergency assistance. It also provides features like stolen vehicle assistance and remote diagnostics. OnStar has some drawbacks, but its advantages make it a worthwhile investment for those prioritizing safety and convenience.
Is the OnStar app worth it?
The OnStar app’s value varies depending on the user’s needs and preferences. It allows remote access to vehicle features. Worthiness depends on compatibility, desired features, and willingness to pay.
Can you use OnStar without a subscription?
No, To use OnStar, a subscription is necessary as it provides access to the service’s features and functionalities. Without it, the services cannot be utilized for your vehicle.
Is OnStar a GPS?
No, OnStar is a multifunctional in-vehicle safety and security system that includes GPS, emergency assistance, and more. It offers real-time traffic updates and turn-by-turn directions.